Monday, December 12, 2016

Puzzling

I hate puzzles.

And boardgames.

Seriously.

Cards or dice I can do but boardgames... no way. I have no fond memories of board game playing or putting together a puzzle. Not one.

Fragi-lee...
But, the other night I was a little bored and there was an unopened puzzle in the closet. It was special puzzle. A leg lamp puzzle. Something interesting at least. In a mini crate just like the movie. I had a little fantasy of putting it together and then doing the puzzle glue and it would be a fun Christmas decoration.

So I thought, what the hell? Tore open the plastic and started sorting. About 15 minutes in I remembered that I hate puzzles. Like a lot. It's a giant mess. For a long time. 500 pieces of mess. Not a square, not a puzzle with an edge. Nope, this thing is actually shaped like a leg lamp.

When the boy saw me puzzling, he actually said, "Really? Really Mom? A puzzle? Really?" In my excitement that a tween talked to me I forgot to answer but yes, really. I really worked on a puzzle.

DONE! Or not.
I toiled. And I got lucky because the kids had a day off from school and they are total nerds who like puzzles. So, they helped. The family helped. Friends dropping by helped. There was help. A lot. A lot of help. But, after a few days of picking at it from time to time, making mistakes, unhooking pieces, swearing...

All the pieces were there. The mess gone. A completed puzzle.

Until I looked closer.

Oh HELL NO.

The house searched. Couch cushions removed. Children interrogated*.

Not 500 pieces perfectly put together.

499 pieces. A piece is missing.

Arms raised I shouted, "YOU USED UP ALL THE GLUE ON PURPOSE!"

And then filed away another reason that I hate puzzles.

But that damn thing is getting glued and framed anyway.

*In my family it would be absolutely expected to 'borrow' and hide a puzzle piece to drive someone bananas. In fact, I'm almost disappointed they didn't.

It's hideous.

No comments:

Post a Comment