Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Dear Madison

Dear Madi, Madison Aileen, MadiBig, Little Miss ~

It's sneaking up on us, Little Miss. The first day of first grade. Supplies are purchased and organized. 'Perfect' first day school dress is ready to go. We will get up and make pancakes and take your picture on the front porch - posed with your book bag. You will have a big smile. You won't be nervous. School is your thing. You, my little girl, are wicked smart. And confident. And Every Thing. 

You make this former first grader very proud.
First grade was my favorite. Mrs. Evans. She looked like one of Charlie's Angels. She did the single most important thing in my life - she taught me how to read. When I was a kid, the first word we learned to read was 'Look!'. There weren't a million learning shows, my parents didn't have a computer with access to learn-to-read websites. It was Mrs. Evans. You will enter first grade with a big advantage. 

I laugh every time you read a couple dozen words, don't know one and flip out that you 'don't know how to read!' I try to patiently explain that you read 25 words before you found one that you didn't know. But, I don't really do 'patient' and neither do you. We'll get through this reading thing. I promise.

You need to do me a favor though MadiBig - you need to keep your head up. Take it from me, Dick and Jane and Mrs. Evans - Look. Look around. Be curious. Keep your silly sense of humor. Ignore me any time I tell you 'not to be silly'. At some point I'll probably tell you to 'act your age' too. I'm sorry. Oh God, am I sorry - in advance. I will do my best to support your growth and your childhood. You have to do your best not to grow up too fast.

When the doctor said, "It's a girl!" I couldn't have been more surprised. I expected two boys. Figured it would be easier. Girls. Girls are tricky business. And, it's not that you're a girl. It's that you're a girl. You're the damnedest thing I've ever seen - running around in your soccer uniform plus tutu.

You're yourself. And, I love that. And, I love you.

Love, 

Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment