Sunday, August 28, 2016

Middle School

The boy starts middle school tomorrow. Middle. School. Holy. Hell.

It's not just that he's starting middle school, it's all the kids I know are rapidly growing up. Not so much kids any more. (Although, they'll always be kids to me...) I've had the privilege of knowing a pretty big group of kids for a long time. I've coached them, I've laughed with them. I've given an occasional lecture. Some of them are seniors in high school now. Some are freshman. And, my own, and his little buddies are 7th graders. Middle School.

-----

To all the 7th Graders in America (but mostly my own),

This is the big leagues kids. You've got lockers, passing times and electives. And, a good chunk of you will become little assholes. For a couple years. Little hormonal zitty jerks. The awkward phase hits. Nice girls will become mean girls. Cool boys will be jerks. 'Going out' starts... jealousy, gossip and everything else.

That'll all roll through 8th grade too. General Jerkdom.

The awkward phase passes.
In good news, most of you will find your way shortly. You'll regroup in a few years. You'll have some hurt feelings and you'll be sorry for some things too. You'll realize that most of the stuff that happens over those couple early teen years is meaningless. In the moment it's horrible. That thing that happened at the school dance? Yeah, that'll be horrifying for awhile. You'll get teased. But you and everyone else will forget about it. And then one day, that'll be a great cocktail party story. When you're 40.

So, my advice...

Hunker down. Do the work. Play sports. Sing. Dance. Be yourself. Hang with your friends. Forget the small stuff - and remember that most of it is small stuff.

Middle school will be a blur. Then you'll hit high school. That's a whole different story...

You'll be there soon enough. As time seems to be passing at an incredible rate.

Love,

Mom

AKA Coach Staci

When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school, it's a wonder I can think at all.

- Paul Simon




No comments:

Post a Comment