Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Gratitude

Two and half years ago I attended an Oprah weekend. Big things. Oprah talks of big things. It was exhausting and awesome at the same time. We were given homework. A years worth. I haven't done well in that category. At all. (Especially considering it's taken me more than two years to even really think about it...) Which is sort of odd because I typically do whatever Oprah says.

One thing I work on from time to time is my gratitude journal. I miss a lot of days, it comes and goes, waxes and wanes depending on time or mood. That's a big Oprah thing. Write in the journal. Every. Day. Never. Miss. A. Day.

Well, I've missed a lot of days. Probably around 900.

And then, Lent came around and gave me the push I needed. I am pretty well known for totally failing at Lent. It's my super power.

I aim too high.

I go for unattainable.

I've tried to stop swearing.

I've tried to give up alcohol.

I've tried giving up chocolate.

Yeah. Me.

None of those have gone well. At all. All #epicfails

Instead of giving something up, I did something this year. Added. I wrote in my gratitude journal. And, I actually liked it. To just stop at the end of the day and be grateful. It's powerful. I didn't hit every day. But I hit most days. Improvement. Progression.

So here goes a sample... a number of items I am grateful for. In no particular order.

Soft sheets. I'm pretty cheap on some necessities. But, you will find, on my bed at least, really nice sheets.

Hot water. If you don't step out of the shower scalded, what's the point?

A nine year old with an attitude. Any small child who starts a conversation with, 'Listen Genius' is destined for big things. Big things.

A teen boy who totally cracks me up and still tells me he loves me. Enough said.

A job that is rewarding and challenging. Even on days where I'm swearing.

The ability to find humor in damn near everything.

The roof that's over my head.

A plan to run. Normally I'd be thankful for miles. Miles and miles. Today I'm thankful for a plan to get me off the bike and out on the street. Even though I am only running a few minutes at a time - I am grateful!

Friends. I'm very fortunate that I hang with some pretty awesome people. Really awesome people.

Love.

Family. They're pretty cool. And with the added bonus of being tall and looking the same, they're easy to find in a crowd.

All I have to do is look up.




Doing what Oprah says.



1 comment: