Monday, October 2, 2017

Goodbye Earl

I haven't really written much about our European adventure as I am still processing. It was an amazing whirlwind trip. We quickly moved through five countries. Or I should say, we ate, drank and laughed our way through five countries.

And then today, a song came on the radio. I was quickly transported to a sketchy karaoke bar in Paris. Bangkok Karaoke.

I sing. Not well.
So, here's the thing. I can't sing. Well, not true. I can physically sing. I know the words. (To all the songs.) I've been known to give a power concert or two hundred to my steering wheel whilst the people in the cars around me stare. But, suffice it say, I should pour all my focus into my day job. ALL of it.

We were in Paris looking for a bar to enjoy a glass of wine or two. Or maybe even a cocktail... We Yelped. Just around the corner from our hotel was a Thai restaurant, seems odd to hang in a Thai place in France but there wasn't much else close by and none of us were really in the mood to get a cab.

Bonus - karaoke.

We arrived to the place to what I would consider a shocked hostess and waitstaff. 10 Americans walk into a Thai Restaurant in Paris... there has to be a joke in there somewhere... They were out of most of the alcohol on the menu. We settled for some cheap wine and beer and a couple poorly made cocktails. We ate peanuts.

I started to wonder if this wasn't a money laundering joint.

I pictured them in the back, "I don't know! Figure out the karaoke machine! These Americans want to sing!'

We sang all the karaoke standards. Sweet Caroline, Rockstar (hey, Nickelback mostly sucks but they do have some catchy hooks), Your Love by the Outfield and some Patsy Cline for good measure. And then, my karaoke go to: Goodbye Earl.

As the song started, my newfound and lifelong (hopefully he agrees!) friend, Jay, quickly made his way up on stage announcing it was now a duet. The Dixie Chicks Fly CD was the only CD in his car. He knew all the words to all the songs.

She held Wanda's hand as they worked out a plan
And it didn't take 'em long to decide
That Earl had to die, goodbye Earl
Those black-eyed peas, they tasted alright to me, Earl

And that is how a retired school counselor from South Carolina and a 40 something engineering director from the Pacific Northwest brought a little country to France.

In a Thai restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment