Sunday, August 30, 2015

6th Grader?

Somehow there are some milestones that stick out more than others... For instance, I'm a little blown away that I have a sixth grader. Sixth grade. I started a new school for sixth grade - probably why it sticks out so much in my mind.

Kindergarten. So far away.
Anyway, the boy. Headed off to sixth grade in a couple days. I think I'm slightly in shock that I have a kid old enough for sixth grade. Might be easier if he was a really smart 8 year old that was going into sixth grade. Sixth grade. Sixth grade. It's just ringing in my ears. But he's the correct age and everything.

He's a tween. Which I think is code for asshole. But, they can't say asshole on television. So, it's tween. All in all, he's a pretty good kid. Any time I complain, my friends say, 'oh, but he's such a good kid'. Really? Because if he rolls his eyes at me one more time, I'm going to punch him in the head. Maybe. Probably not. Well, not a chance. I'd like to think that the look I give is enough. But those eyes keep on rolling.

Sixth grade is where things start to happen. Girls call. Or text. Or, I don't know. I really have no idea what happens these days. 'These days'. Because I'm suddenly old and out of touch with a tween. Who hates the clothes I buy and rides in the front seat and reaches over and changes the radio station. Holy hell.

So, anyway... he's headed off to sixth grade. I'll be white knuckling through the whole thing. And, really I don't have a lot for advice other than, 'most of the stuff you're going to run into is really stupid and will have no impact on your life'. Except in that moment, when it's the worst thing ever. EVER.

I'm pretty sure that's my job though. Just keep him going. Give terrible advice. Hold my tongue when I want to snap. Let him change the radio station. Show up. Be present. Even when some times I'm just pretending and have no earthly idea of what he's talking about.

Because the years are ticking away. There aren't many left. Six years from sixth grade... well, that's heading out the door.

Jesus.

I need a drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment