Friday, August 7, 2015

Teeth!

The tooth fairy assigned to our neighborhood is at best lazy, or at worst, has early onset dementia. She often forgets to drop by, is often without quarters and generally disorganized. She's even had to hide teeth in the cup holder on the treadmill - more than once - in an early morning panic.

Gappy.
So, this morning when I got a call from the boy that the girl had lost a fang (his words, not mine)... I mentally filed it away.


Don't forget the tooth fairy. Don't forget the tooth fairy.


Trouble is, he called me just as I was walking into a meeting. File instantly archived.

When I got home this afternoon the kitchen was a little bit of a disaster. Plates out, cereal spilled on the table, the usual summer day untidiness that I'm finding lately. Loaded the dishwasher, started it, we ate dinner... typical night.

Until about 9:30. When the girl, hysterical, screamed, "Where did the glass go that was right here?"

"You mean your milk cup? It's on the table."

"NO. The water glass that was right here!" Tears are now coming, she can hardly get the words out.

"There's a water glass in the living room on the coffee table. Is that it? I think someone is tired."

"I DON'T WANT WATER! My tooth was in it. RIGHT HERE!" She slams her little hand down on the counter.

Oh, shit. 

I quickly run over to the sink to see if it somehow survived the kitchen clean up.

She's now sobbing at the thought of the tooth having been washed down the drain. I assure her that the tooth fairy can find it in the drain. As long as she doesn't have a glass of wine later.

And then, light bulb.

FOUND!
Here's the thing. I don't like to waste water. When I come upon a water glass on the counter with a bit of water in it, I pour it into the dog bowl. They drink out of the toilet so I'm pretty sure they're okay with backwash.

And, there it was, resting on the the bottom of the water bowl. Tooth!

Tears are gone, smile is back, "It's so good that one of the dogs didn't swallow it, the tooth fairy would have had to fly into the dog!"

Yep, that forgetful bitch would have had to fly into a dog...





No comments:

Post a Comment