Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Summertime and the livin’ is easy…

I love summer. Love. Love. Love. Although not my favorite season, fall wins there. Chilly in the morning, warm in the afternoon, orange leaves and pumpkin flavored everything.


But, back to summer.


Until I was 11, I lived in either Eastern Washington or Northern Idaho. Close to the sun. Where I used to be very tan and blonde; I am now pasty and “blonde”.


I achieved this fantastical tan through the over-usage of Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil. Because, I was eight. And it smelled good.


Spent a lot of time on the Snake River. A lot of time. I can still hear it. There is a sound, distinct. Drop under the water, just cover your ears. The muffled sound of laughing and playing in the water and behind that, the hum of boat engines. It’s meditative.

We’d head to the river, Hells Gate State Park, when we lived in Idaho. When we lived in Washington, we walked out the front door. Hells Gate was nicer. It cost a dollar per car to get in. Relatively early in the morning. To get a good spot. Spread out the blanket. Green plaid. Start the process of blowing up the air mattresses.


Break out the snacks: Sour Cream and Onion chips, soda pop, light beer (mom only!) and oreos. The beer and oreo thing has stuck with me. If you haven’t tried it, you’re missing out. Truly.


It would be hot. Often 100 degrees or more, it was Hells Gate, after all. You’d run from the grass to the water to try to not burn your feet on the sand. That run got longer as the river receded later in the summer.


Start at the top of the swimming area, float to the end. Flip over and do it again. Again and again. Jump in. Dive. Somersaults. Handstands. You need to have an even base burn. You should be absolutely red, blistered is even better, by the end of the day. You’ll be miserable and unable to sleep for a few nights and then you’ll peel. And peel. And peel.


But then, well, you’ll be a perfect golden brown. Repeat each Saturday or Sunday - after church of course. And as you’ve completed the task of the base burn, you don’t burn again all summer. Just a deeper and deeper tan. Which translates into some amazing sun damage as an adult.


My children have no idea what this is like. The 80’s seem like another planet now. They’ve never been in the sun without massive quantities of sunscreen. Nor have they ever been encouraged to work on their base burn. In turn, neither one is as comfortable in the water as I was. Probably due to the distance from Western Oregon to the Snake River. And, my fear of damaging their perfect innocent skin.

They do know about beer and oreos though. Because I'm raising them right.






No comments:

Post a Comment