Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Running!

So, I don't know, five or six years ago I ran a bit. Did a couple 10k's. Not very well. I enjoyed the competition of it, even though I wasn't very good. My times were terrible. And then, a bunch of stuff happened. I had a pretty stressful year and I just sort of quit.

You know what? It's way easier to be heavy and out of shape. Way easier. Just sink down into that couch and let it all go. It's so, so, so easy.

And then, one day, I just sort of snapped out of it. Years later. And in terrible shape. Terrible shape.

Started 'running'. And by running I mean staggering down the streets of the Grove. Intermixed with walking and limping. There may have been some crying in there too.

Signed up for a couple runs. Had a little fun. Got a little more motivated, ran more. Which leads to even more running.

Last weekend I ran a 10k. The whole thing. For the first time. No walking. I'm not sure if it was the course or the weather or just my mood that day. As far as the course goes, there were some rolling hills and a mile or so that was gravel. Felt very much like home. Right down to the broken down barns and beer cans in the weeds along the way. It was sunny too. Which makes the average Oregonian pretty happy. We get damn near cheery.
About midway through, I had a thought. "I'm actually running.”

It was a very 'What About Bob?' moment.

I run. I'm a runner.

And, if you don't get that reference, Lord help you, because I can't.

I run.

My best mile time since high school. 9:59.

Now, for a real runner person that's not a very good time. But, for a nearing 40 sturdy farm girl/clydesdale - that's a really freaking good time. I'm not exactly built for speed. 

My legs are very different lengths, which gives me a very strange gait. I have the 'family walk'. It's sort of a staggering, shoulders slumped, hands cupped backward, limp. Not the moves of an efficient land animal, by any means. Generally speaking, if you see anyone from the family running - you should too. Seriously. There is danger near. You don't have to run faster than the bear/murderer/zombie - you just have to run faster than one of us. But, some how I've taken all that disaster, for lack of a better word, and made it work.

I'm looking forward to the next run. Can't wait to challenge that mile time. 15k is in less than a month. And, oddly enough I'm excited about it.

Exited? About running?

Yup.

It's the damnedest thing. 






No comments:

Post a Comment