Friday, February 6, 2015

Doing Nothing

One of my goals for 2015 was to do nothing more often.

So far, I'm kind of failing. Even a friend called me out as 'clearly failing'. Failing is not a thing I enjoy. (But, I'm pretty sure she really enjoyed telling me I was.)

One of my favorite things is Gem Shopping. Hitting the thrift stores, antique shops, etc to look for 'gems'. Sometimes they stand alone, but most of the time I am looking for a project - something to paint or stain or take apart. I'm always out there looking for something to upcycle.

So a thing I enjoy is colliding with a goal to do less. Not just less, the goal is to do nothing.

Takes a lotta time to make it look bad. Er, shabby.
This past weekend, I painted and waxed two pieces of furniture and spray painted two light fixtures. I hadn't really planned the spray painting as it's the husbands project but it turns out that I am a superior spray painter. Farm kid for the win.

And because the painting, waxing, distressing and buffing on the furniture all took longer than I expected, I didn't get in the miles on the treadmill I wanted - wanted five but ran out of time and only got in two. A collision with another goal for the year: more miles.

It's all really because the Superbowl was on. I had to be on the couch by 3:30. Which was technically 'doing nothing'. I was just sitting there, I guess. And, ate so much junk my stomach hurt for two days. Felt like I was punished for doing nothing. And the game and commercials weren't really all that great. Other than the brawl at the end.

Not a good investment in my do nothing time.

This week I've been out of the house four of the five nights. Two for runs, one for a party and one for tap dance. Three of those nights directly correlate to goals for the year which is good. Trouble is that I've been out of the house so much this week it looks like meth heads have moved in. There's enough dog hair on the floor to knit a new dog. (A project?!)

Which means the weekend won't have much 'do nothing' time as I'll be cleaning up and motivating the small humans who also occupy the space to help.

Turns out that takes twice as much time as just doing it myself.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on the goal so early in the year. I know that I can do nothing.

I CAN DO NOTHING!

Or will stress myself into a heart attack trying.



No comments:

Post a Comment