Thursday, January 11, 2018

So embarrassing...

I get easily embarrassed. People are often shocked by that. But, it should be noted that I can't even say ovaries without blushing.

I've promised myself I would openly talk all things body and sex with the kids. It's brutal and I'm not good at it but I force myself. In good news, the boy hates it. HATE. The girl with her plans of being a doctor isn't shy or embarrassed. She looks at all things as parts. Parts that as a doctor she'll have to fix. Much like a mechanic looks like a car, I imagine.

And so when the text came in from their dad with a pdf attached of the 8th grade homework the boy was completing... I giggled. I giggled a lot. It was his night. His night to help with homework. The homework in question, a seven page assignment on birth control. One page a crossword. Three letter form of birth control... The boy didn't know. His dad didn't know. Dudes, it's IUD. Duh.

So two nights later with the children back at my house, at the dinner table, I asked, "How's the birth control homework going?"

"Don't."

"What?"

"I'll leave." His cheeks flushed.

"What, over condoms? I'm an advocate. You should always use them. Like, no matter what." Part of me wanted to die, but at the look on his face, I found strength to continue on.

His nearly 14 year old brain appeared to explode, while the girl popped up, "I know what a condom is."

"Of course you do."

And with that, he left the table.

Oh, son, it's just the beginning.


No comments:

Post a Comment