Thursday, January 29, 2015

Sickly

Damn, I was a sick kid. Really, really sick.

Always a sore throat. Always?

I shouldn't say 'always', I guess. There were some broken bones in there too. And some stitches. But a lot of damn sore throats.

The year they took my tonsils out, I missed 34 days of school. That was after three years of the same. My ear canals are scarred from all the ear infections. I can still remember how bad I hurt.

Now, as an adult, I get sick a lot too. I have antibiotic resistance from all the years of delicious bubblegum flavored refrigerated amoxicillin. Fortunately, it's not as bad as it was then. A day or two here and there - always a sore throat and ear infection. Apparently as a Taurus, I am prone to throat problems. I guess I'll take that one hit because I am the most badass sign in the zodiac. Throat problems for life is a small price to pay.

The boy was sick as a baby. A couple ear infections and pneumonia. A little stressful, for sure. But now, as a regular ol' big kid, he's pretty healthy.

Adorable, even when sick.

The girl though. The girl is another story. We're dealing with another sore throat today. Third of the school year. I ache for her. I remember how much it hurt. How you want to play and do things but just can't. How swallowing hurts so bad. How you just cry. For no reason. Well, no 'real' reason. She spent dinner time crying. Poor thing. Not eating for her is not a good thing. At 41 pounds, missing a meal is not really an option.

When I was her age, Jello was the fix. She doesn't care much about Jello. Her fix appears to be applesauce.

We're at Defcon level: Applesauce-Tylenol

She's currently wrapped in a blanket on the couch watching Strawberry Shortcake, crabby and not herself. I'm keeping my distance for a variety of reasons.

I hope it doesn't move to her ears, and that it's quick. I also hope that she sleeps tonight and that I get to too. Without it I'm just a tall six year old. And this house doesn't need two of those.







1 comment: